The Water Smart Generation: Love Your Water – Use It Wisely
Presentation by Julie Smitherman, Water Resources Coordinator, Medford Water Commission (May 25, 2021)
- Fix leaks!
- Plug up drip emitters that are not watering plants.
- Schedule a sprinkler evaluation – Medford, Ashland
- Do not water everyday – Water deeply every other day.
- Lower the pressure – Too much pressure on sprinklers can use more water than needed.
- Water some areas by hand or by manual function instead of using the automatic system.
- Catch excess water in a bucket.
- Use graywater for trees.
- Use a soil moisture meter- test to see if there is still enough moisture left in the soil.
- Dry spots – add another emitter or fix sprinkler – don’t run entire system longer.
- Remove lawn and plant climate appropriate plants.
- Make regular adjustments to sprinklers.
- Amend Soil – retains moisture and reduces evaporation.
- Mulch with groundcover or compost – make sure you are also being firewise!
- Read your meter – determine how much water used when doing certain tasks.
- Support upgrades to water system supply infrastructure to improve efficiency and resiliency long-term.
- Make changes to landscaping and irrigation practices.
- Upgrade indoor fixtures and appliances.
- Change perspective – How much water do we really need?
- Less water use– reduces carbon footprint at home and utility.
- Use less water without diminishing quality of life – It can be done!
- Understand the water system – Value your water – LOVE YOUR WATER
- www.ashlandsaveswater.org Information on rebates for Ashland residents as well as the following:
- Love Your Water: Greywater reuse Presented May 3, 2019 to PNWS-AWWA Conference Vancouver, WA
- Infoline 541-774-2460