SOCAN Development Associate
Reports to: SOCAN Co-Facilitators
Compensation: This is a contract position, 10 hours/week. Hourly rate $25-$30, based on experience. 1-year contract that can be renewed if both parties agree.
Location: Remote, with occasional attendance at in-person events & meetings in Jackson County, OR
Targeted start date: November 1, 2022
Application deadline: October 14, 2022 at 5pm
The mission of Southern Oregon Climate Action Now (SOCAN) is to promote awareness and understanding about the science, causes, and consequences of climate change. We work with individuals and organizations in Southern Oregon, statewide, nationally, and internationally to advocate for both personal and governmental actions that reduce the emissions and atmospheric concentration of greenhouse gases. Within this framework, we are committed to supporting climate solutions that address the social injustices that have undermined vulnerable communities for many decades and that still plague our society today.
Southern Oregon Climate Action Now (SOCAN) was established in 2012 as an all-volunteer grassroots organization and has steadily grown into a 501(c)(3) non-profit of over 2,000 Southern Oregonians and friends who are concerned about the climate crisis. After 10 years of volunteer-led success, SOCAN is looking to build its fundraising capacity to hire staff.
SOCAN seeks a Development Associate, as a part-time contractor with a commitment to addressing the climate crisis, who will enhance the organization’s fundraising capacity. The Development Associate will be responsible for managing SOCAN’s donor database, meeting with potential and current donors to solicit new donations and increase current contributions, organizing events to attract new donors, and developing fundraising campaigns.
- Developing and managing a donor database
- Developing fundraising campaigns, including year-end appeal
- Soliciting current donors for increased contributions
- Organizing donor events
- Networking with potential donors
- Processing donations and preparing acknowledgment letters and other correspondence
- Delivering reports on fundraising activities and progress to the SOCAN Board of Directors
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Availability to work occasional evenings and weekends for in-person events and meetings
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office & Google Suite
- Experience in fundraising and cultivating donors
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- A self starter, data and deadline driven, and ability to multi-task with solid organizational and time-management skills
- Understanding of and passion for the mission of SOCAN
- Sense of humor, friendly personality and a positive attitude
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Knowledge of the constituency and potential donor base in Southern Oregon
- Experience managing a donor database
- Local residency
How to Apply
Interested persons should submit a cover letter explaining your interest, relevant experiences that qualify you for this position, your resume and names and contact information of three professional references to Kathy Conway (firstname.lastname@example.org) by October 14th at 5pm.
If you have any questions about this position, please contact Kathy Conway, SOCAN Co-Facilitator, at email@example.com.
Southern Oregon Climate Action Now is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.