Public Hearings by Oregon Department of State Lands (DSL) on Jordan Cove LNG
[Information from Rogue Climate and Rogue Riverkeepers]
You can help stop the Jordan Cove LNG project THIS TUESDAY! Join us for the Department of State Lands hearing and ask the agency to deny the Removal/Fill permit.
Jackson County Dept of State Lands (DSL) Hearing & Rally
Tuesday January 8th, 2019
Rally & Gathering: 4:30 – 5:30PM in the Olsrud Arena
Hearing: 5:30 – 8PM in the Padgham Pavilion
Jackson County Expo
1 Peninger Road, Central Point, OR 97502
Rally & Gathering Details:
Folks will gather at 4:30PM at the Olsrud Arena building on the Jackson County Expo grounds. Look for signs as you enter the parking area! There will be speakers, art tables, comment writing stations, pizza, beverages, and more. Bring the kids, visit with friends, and get more information about the Removal/Fill permit hearing at 5:30PM. This space will be open and available for the duration of the evening for folks waiting to give testimony or who arrive late and want more information.
At 5:15PM, we will walk a short distance to the Padgham Pavilion to attend the DSL Removal/Fill permit hearing to give testimony and submit comments.
DSL Removal/Fill Permit Hearing Details:
The hearing will be open from 5:30 – 8PM. You can attend at any time to give testimony and submit your comments. Here is how the process will go:
- Sign up to speak as soon as you arrive. The hearing room will open at 5:15PM.
- If you are 65 or older and would like to speak early in the hearing, please indicate that when signing up. You will be allowed to comment first.
- Speakers will be called to speak in the order they signed up.
- DSL staff will call 5 people forward at a time. When your name is called, please come to the designated area and await your turn.
- One person will be called to the microphone at a time.
- Each speaker will have up to two minutes to comment.
- A DSL staff person will be at the speaking table to accept any written materials the speaker wishes to submit.
- Final speakers will be called forward at approximately 7:45PM. The hearing will end at 8 p.m.
- All testimony will be recorded to be transcribed and added to the public record. If you change your mind, that’s ok. You can still submit comments in writing the same evening by using a written comment card or by emailing or mailing your comments to DSL. Be sure to let the sign-up table know if you won’t be speaking so they can adjust the schedule
2019 is the year to stop the Jordan Cove fracked gas pipeline and LNG export terminal, but it will take all of us.
Tuesday, Jan. 8 at the Jackson County Expo, 1 Peninger Rd, Central Point
Wednesday, Jan. 9 at Seven Feathers Casino, 146 Chief Miwaleta Ln., Canyonville
Thursday, Jan. 10 at the Mill Casino, 3201 Tremont Ave., North Bend
Tuesday, Jan. 15 at the DSL, Land Board Room, 775 Summer St NE, Salem
Submit a comment. If you only have a minute, click >HERE< to submit a comment, or you can check out our longer comment writing guide >HERE<. The comment period closes on February 3.
Under Oregon law, DSL is supposed to deny permits for projects that jeopardize public health and safety, that are not consistent with the protection, conservation, or best use of Oregon waters, and that unreasonably interfere with navigation, fishing, or public recreation. DSL is overseen by the Oregon State Lands Board, made up of Governor Brown, Treasurer Tobias Reed, and Secretary of State Dennis Richardson.
Hannah Sohl, firstname.lastname@example.org, 541-840-1065
Stacey Detwiler, email@example.com, 541-488-9831