PROJECT LEADER – Kathy Conway (Interim)
- To explore with regional educators ways that we can contribute to finding and developing curricular materials which promote student awareness and understanding of the science of climate change, together with its causes, consequences, and actions we can take. These curricula could be used in schools, for home schooling, and in extra-curricular situations, such as youth groups, after school clubs, nature centers, summer camps, etc.
- To develop and give one-time presentations about climate change to elementary-age and middle-school-age children as an introduction to the subject. Give the teacher, parent, or group leader follow-up curriculum materials.
- To connect and work with high school and middle-school students who:
- might help develop curriculum and present in lower-age classrooms
- wish to use education in climate change as their senior project, capstone project, or to fulfill another class requirement.
Curriculum development and dissemination of information to teachers.
Connection to SOCAN Mission
One of SOCAN’s main mission objectives is to educate the public about climate science. One of the most effective ways of doing this is reaching students at all levels.
- Lessons Plans developed for teachers of different grade levels by local Teachers in collaboration with SOCAN or by SOCAN volunteers (listed under Curriculum Materials Developed by Local Educators on Education Resouces page).
- Participation in SOREEL August Institute Resource Fairs 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.
- SOREEL August Institute Workshops on Climate Science 2013, 2015, 2016.
- Presentations at area schools.
- Program on climate change at Hedrick Middle School Summer Camp, 2016.
- Climate Science Workshop at Environmental Education Association of Oregon Conference, Suttle Lake, September 2016
Please send an email expresing interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unlike their predecesor, the Next Generation Science Standards, adopted by Oregon, explicitly include the expectation that students will understand climate science.